Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pan Fried shrimps with Glass Noodles in Thai Basil and Coriander Pesto



One of my favourite things to do with fresh herbs is pesto. I had Thai basil (learn about this very special basil in my post on Three Cup Chicken), so I decided to make pesto out of it.

And now that I have a mini-chopper I can do pesto in no time at all! I know, those Italian mamas will insist on grinding everything the traditional way in a mortar and pestle, but.. I wanted pesto fast ): To redeem myself, I have done (chunky) walnut basil pesto by hand before. The next bit about this very special pesto that's sure to send the Italian mamas reeling again, is that I didn't use Parmesan, heck I didn't use any cheese at all! To keep to the true Thai theme, I used naturally fermented soybean paste to provide the savoury factor, and used toasted crushed peanuts instead of pine nuts.


Thai Basil and Coriander Pest0
Ingredients
1 clove garlic
1 large handful of Thai basil (leaves only)
2 large handfuls of coriander
1 handful of unsalted (and preferably soaked) peanuts, lightly toasted
1 tbsp of fermented soybean paste (kind of like white miso)
1 green chilli, deseeded (I used Thai birds eye chilli, but you can opt for milder ones;) )
fish sauce (to taste)
1 tsp of sesame oil
extra virgin olive oil
squeeze of half a lime

Method
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor/mini chopper, pouring in enough extra virgin olive oil till you get to the desired smooth consistency. Add the lime juice after that to add some freshness.


With my controversial pesto ready, it was time for some asian-style pesto-and-pasta!


Panfried shrimps with Glass Noodles in Thai Basil and Coriander Pesto
Ingredients
1 bundle of glass noodles (also known as mung bean threads/vermicelli, cellophane noodles, dang hoon. Not the same as rice noodles.)
couple of shrimps/prawns, shelled (please use more, I just only had 2 sad ones left.)
a few drops of fish sauce
a little bit of coconut oil (or evoo)
1/4 cup of Thai basil and coriander pesto

Method
1. Soak the glass noodles in cold water for about 10 minutes to soften. Drain, then pour boiling water over the noodles and let sit for 10 seconds (these cook really fast!). Drain, then run cold water over it to stop the noodles from continuing to cook.
2. Devein the shrimps by slitting the back, coat with fish sauce and fry them in a hot pan, flipping once. You'll know when they're cooked, because they turn pink and curl into that pretty butterfly shape.
3. Toss all in the pesto, and garnish with a sprig of fresh Thai basil.


I love glass noodles in all their translucent beauty and slippery goodness, and I love shrimps, though I wish there were more, and when both of them are covered in that delicious savoury pesto with the fragrance of these asian herbs and the smell of toasted peanuts, it's <3!


By the way, Miz Helen decided to fill her plate up last week with my Baked Egg in Jacket Potato with Chilli, Lime and Coriander Butter (: Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment