Sunday, January 23, 2011

Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts


Of all vegetables, this has got to be the one with the worst rep. People turn up their noses whenever they hear its name, but I'm nuts, I absolutely love brussel sprouts. I like cabbage (ok that just totally confirms my position as a nut) and brussel sprouts are like mini-cabbages that I can pop into my mouth like grapes.

The important thing is not to overcook them, and they're actually really sweet and not pungent at all. I enjoy them very simply steamed with melted butter over. But for those who are not that easily won over, here's a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts that may convert you:

Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
serves 2-3, or 1 veggie lovers
Ingredients
1/2 bag (250g) brussel sprouts
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt, black pepper (to taste, but be generous)

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Wash and trim brussel sprouts and cut into halves (leave the tiny ones whole). Smash the garlic, with their skins on. Toss all with the salt, pepper and olive oil. I like to rub the garlic into the sprouts a bit also.

3. Spread on a baking tray (cut side up, don't overlap) and roast for 35 to 45 min, shaking every 10 min or so ensure they brown evenly and don't burn. When done, they're brown and crispy outside and tender and savoury inside!

Yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment