Friday, June 11, 2010

Mexican Shrimp Burgers

  
  
I'm scared of peppers.  Perhaps scared isn't the best word, because I like peppers.  I like bell peppers, and I like spicy foods, which require peppers.  Probably the better word is daunted.  While I like spicy food, I don't like my food too spicy.  It's especially annoying to spend so much time preparing a meal and then have it inedible because it's too spicy.  Similarly, there are so many peppers that look relatively the same.  I can't really keep them all straight.  So, I've always been tentative about Mexican recipes.  However, one morning last weekend I caught the Food Network show Mexican Made Easy.  There we were in Marcela Vallodolid's kitchen making a seafood grill.  As pretty as Marcela is, I'm truly a sucker for kitchens with a view, in this case a panoramic view of rolling hills and the ocean.  And so I tuned in and saw this recipe.  This also occurred as I have just moved next to a Fresh Fields grocery story.  This isn't a plug for that store necessarily, but having a convenient source of ethnic ingredients is essential.  So, I took the plunge with this recipe for shrimp burgers and avocado aioli.  Of course, the best plans laid plans often go immediately awry.  They didn't have poblano chilis.  They had something else, that I don't even now remember it's name, but it kind of looked the same.  See how a little confidence can encourage you down the path?  Anyway, I picked out a couple of that looked similar and the serranos they did have.  All of the other ingredients are common and the assembly was easy.  I urge you to try this recipe at your next summer grilling experience.  Grilling is always fun, and a recipe with some spice will make it that much better.  Serves 6
     
Ingredients:
1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 egg
2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
3/4 cup plain gread crumbs
1 poblano chili roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded and diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 avocado halved, pitted, and peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 serrano chile, stemmed, halved and seeded
2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
hamburger buns, lettuce and tomato slices as desired
     
Directions:
In a food processor combine the shrimp, egg, cilantro, garlic, bread crumbs, poblano chili, salt and pepper.  Process until the mixture is a rough puree.  Form into patties, adding more bread crumbs if the mixture is too wet to mold.  Brush the patties with oil and grill over medium-high heat until golden, approximately 3 minutes per side.
In a food processor combine the avocado, mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic, serrano chili and cilantro.  Process until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the burgers on buns, topped with a dollop of aioli, lettuce and tomato slices.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment