Monday, June 13, 2011

Recipe of the Week - Mexican Pizza

This week I am sharing a recipe I tried from a fellow blogger, Kristi over at Veggie Converter. It is a twist on a home made pizza, making it mexican style! I really enjoyed it! My hubby didn't really care for it though. But he is not a big mexican style food person and he thought it was little spicy because of the salsa I used. Oh well, can't please all the time I suppose! :) I brought the left overs over to my in-laws the next day and my mother in-law really liked it! So that is 2-1. :)

Mexican Pizza 

All of my ingredients ready to go! This is vegetarian, but if you eat meat you could use beef instead of the Vegetarian griller crumbles. I am also using my Pampered Chef Large Stoneware Bar Pan. I love using the stoneware, especially for pizza. Once you oil the surface a few times before using it, it becomes naturally stick free. It also makes the crust nice and crispy by evening distributing the heat. 

I used a pre-made pizza dough, but you could definitely make a home made crust. I didn't put any oil on my stoneware since I have used it a few times and so it is naturally stick free already. 

I baked it in the oven per the directions on the pizza dough container. I believe it was 400 for about 15 minutes. While it was in the oven, I chopped my green onions. 

I used my trusty 5" Utility Knife  and the Flexible Cutting Mats. The Pampered Chef cutting mats are a lot sturdier than ones I have found in the store but are still flexible enough to transfer items and pour them into your pots or pans. 

I also starting browning the veggie griller crumbles. I am using my 10" TPC Saute Pan and a Bamboo Spatula. The saute pan is nonstick, you don't have to even put oil or butter in it! The bamboo is great because it doesn't stain or take on the flavors of whatever you are using it in! 

The original recipe didn't call for this, but I decided to add some taco seasoning to the griller crumbles. 
I used my 2 cup prep bowl, which also comes with a lid so you can store small amount of items if you need to. I also used our stainless whisk to make sure it was nice and smooth. 

After the crust come out of the oven I started layering! 


I used  a generic brand of white corn and black bean salsa as the "tomato sauce." 

Then I added the griller crumbles and green onion. You could also add olives or any other type of mexican style veggies that you want. 

And of course, cheese on the top! I used a Mexican style 3-cheese blend. 

Bake it at 400 for another 15 minutes. 

And the results..... 

Yum!! Doesn't that look delicious?! I used TPC's Pizza Cutter to cut it up! 

Mexican Style Pizza 

1 pizza crust (either home-made or store bought) 
1 cup salsa 
1 cup of ground beef or griller crumbles (I use Morningstar, found in the breakfast freezer section). 
1 pkg. of taco seasoning (not in original recipe) 
2 cups of Mexican cheese 
1 bunch of green onions (not in original recipe)
Optional: Black Bean Salsa, refried beans, black olives. 

Partially bake your crust. Since I used a store bought crust I baked it at 400 for 15 minutes. Top with a layer of salsa, ground beef or griller crumbles, green onions and/or black olives, and cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. 


Also, if you are interested in any of The Pampered Chef products that I mentioned, send me an e-mail and let me know! 

Be sure to link up your recipes below! Please link back to Recipe of the Week in your post to spread the word about this recipe blog hop! You can also grab the button on the right side of my blog to add to your blog list if you like! 







No comments:

Post a Comment