Saturday, January 22, 2011

Steamed Herbal Chicken Parcels 纸包鸡


I love Chinese herbal chicken soup, like a simple Ginseng Chicken soup, or the more complicated ones that I rely on my mum for ;) This is a variation of herbal chicken soup-- the chicken thigh is marinated and then steamed with the sweet Chinese herbs, giving tender meat and juices infused with that wonderful herbal smell (that some people hate but I totally love). This recipe is adapted fromNoobcook's foil-wrapped herbal chicken.

Steamed Herbal Chicken Parcels 纸包鸡
serves 1 (makes 1 parcel)
Ingredients
1 chicken thigh+drum
1 ginseng
3 red dates, pitted and halved
3 slices dang gui (chinese angelica root)
1 piece dang shen (condonopsis root)
1 tsp wolfberry
1 clove garlic, minced,

Marinade
1" grated ginger
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese shaoxing rice wine (I used 花雕酒)
pinch of brown sugar (I used unrefined Rapadura)
pinch of white pepper

Method
1. Combine the chicken thigh with the marinade ingredients and leave overnight in the fridge, or at least 2h.
2. Place the chicken thigh on a sheet of parchment paper (I prefer this to aluminium foil, less.. toxic?) with the rest of the ingredients and pour the marinade over. Tie the parchment paper up so you get a cute little parcel.
3. Steam for about 35 min, then open the parcel and flip the chicken over for another 10 minutes. If you use chicken breast, just 20 min+10 min is enough!

I love unwrapping parcels, especially if my parcels contain food ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment