Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vegetarian for a Week: Food Tip of the Day - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

It is imperative that I begin this post by stating quite categorically that, no, I have not suddenly turned in to a vegetarian. I have nothing whatsoever against vegetarians - my Mother is one! - I simply love meat and fish too much to even contemplate such a step in the long term, never mind on a permanent basis!

The background to this project is simply that approximately a month ago, someone suggested to me that I should try to go vegetarian for a week. This was for no particular reason other than to firstly prove that I could do it, and secondly, as an experience of finding out in a sense how other people live. I promised to, "Give it serious consideration..." and promptly forgot about it for a couple of weeks.

It was only when I learned a couple of weeks back of Squidoo's charity programme, "Summer Sunshine," that I decided to dig this idea back out of the farthest recesses of my mind and actually give it a bash. Squidoo affords the options of a great many charities which one can choose to benefit from their endeavours and I have selected, Save the Children. There are tens of millions of children in this world who have no choice but to be vegetarian, though they will eat nothing like the dishes I am presently preparing for this project. Their basic rice or root vegetable diets afford them no variation and insufficient sustenance in many cases to survive, never mind grow to healthy maturity.

I started this project two days ago - on Monday, May 24th - and what I am simply doing is posting one vegetarian recipe of my own creation (which, yes - I have also eaten!) on the site linked to below for seven days, up to and including Sunday, May 30th. The royalties accrued from the page in all shapes and forms will go to Save the Children on an ongoing basis for the life of the page, which I intend leaving in place for all perpetuity. In addition, if the page is selected to be featured on Squidoo as part of the campaign, further funds will be donated. I clearly have no personal control or influence over that second part.

I hope that you will take a look at the page as it develops and in simply so doing, help Save the Children do what they are so nobly doing around the surface of Planet Earth.

Thank you.

Vegetarian for a Week

No comments:

Post a Comment