Monday, January 24, 2011

Carrot, Cardamom and Coconut Soup


More carrot soup!

After trying the classic combination flavours, I wanted to try something new. I've got a half-used packet of coconut milk in the fridge so I thought of carrot and coconut, then I wanted something zesty to make the soup more refreshing, so I thought of cardamom! No, it's not because of the 'c' alliteration. Ok maybe a bit. With some ginger (not in the name because it starts with a 'g'. no, really!) and A BLENDER, I know I'm all set!

Carrot, Cardamom and Coconut Soup
serves 2-4
Ingredients
3 large carrots (about 450g), peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped finely
1" ginger, chopped finely
3 cardamom pods
1/4 cup (60 ml) of thick coconut milk + 1/4 cup water (or just use 1/2 cup coconut milk)
sea salt, pepper
1 tbsp butter

To serve
(opt) a bit more thick coconut milk/coconut cream

Method
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat in a big pot, then add the onions and ginger and cook till onions become translucent, then add the carrots and cook a further 3 min or so till onions just start to brown.
2. Crush the cardamom pods and add (esp the seeds!), cooking about 1 more min.

3. Add the water, and let it cook for 20-25 min until the carrots are tender. Remove the cardamom pod shells.
4. Add the coconut milk and blend the mixture until you get a smooth puree. (Ah I've waited so long for this moment! Why did I scrimp on this for the longest time?)

5. To serve, swirl in a bit more of the thick coconut milk/cream.

I love love love this soup. It's got the sweetness of the carrot, the richness of the coconut milk, balanced by that hint of sharp ginger and the wonderful fragrance of cardamom. That's why it says serves 2-4...


No comments:

Post a Comment