Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pumpkin Ravioli with Basil Browned Butter



So I went crazy one fine day making pasta with my , and pumpkin ravioli was one of the results. This dish is inspired by Rick Stein's pumpkin ravioli with sage butter. Pumpkin has a mild sweetness to it, which when mixed up with some salty savoury parmesan, hits all the right buttons! I used basil instead because 1. I couldn't find sage at Tesco Metro, 2. My ravioli's rolled out too thick so it's kind of dense and hearty so I needed a herb that's.. lighter? and fresher than sage 3. Basil's great with roasted sweet vegetables. I topped it off with toasted pumpkin seeds for that added texture, plus I just like that you're using the whole vegetable, even though I confess I just used pumpkin seeds from my pantry.

Pumpkin Ravioli with Basil Browned Butter
serves 2

Ingredients
For the pasta dough, check out my homemade sourdough pasta post.
You'll need 1/2 of the dough from that entry. Maybe 1/3 if you roll it out thinner.

For the ravioli stuffing,
1/2 cup mashed/pureed roasted (or you can steam) pumpkin
1-2 tbsp grated parmesan
1 (med) egg yolk
pinch of sea salt, black pepper, nutmeg, dried basil

For the basil browned butter,
2 tablespoons butter
handful of basil, shredded

To garnish,
handful of pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
few basil leaves

Method
1. Mix the stuffing ingredients

2. Place a teaspoon (don't be greedy and stuff too much) of the stuffing about every 5cm away.
3. In between each teaspoon of stuffing, wet (estimate the halfway mark) the dough with water/egg wash. Put another rectangular layer of dough over to seal (press around the stuffing). Cut with pizza cutter if you have one, or just go rustic ;) Leave to dry for 1/2 hour or so.
Please check out my homemade sourdough pasta post for a clearer picture. There are photos!
4. Cook the ravioli in gently boiling salted water, about 3-4 min.
5. While the ravioli is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan, with the shredded basil leaves and a pinch of salt,

until it foams and browns (careful don't burn!)
6. Plate up drained pasta, pour butter sauce over, top with grated Parmesan cheese, the toasted pumpkin seeds, and garnish with the fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!


Next time, I would try rolling out my dough much thinner, (and hence try out the sage butter? I've not tried deep fried sage leaves before) but for now, I'm happy(:

This is an entry for Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Tastes of Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment