Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mrs. Dash




Mrs. Dash - (cue the shock and astonishment) - may one even mention such a topic without inspiring indignation?  Should kitchen denizens turn up their nose at the mere mention of Mrs. Dash?  I don't know, but I have a bottle in my spice cabinet.  What is Mrs. Dash anyway?  Its purveyors tell us that we may "use the famous Mrs. Dash® Original Blend for fish seasoning, chicken seasoning, and more! An all-purpose, versatile blend of 14 savory herbs and spices, Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blends onion, black pepper, parsley, basil, orange peel and tomato add flavor excitement to any dish."  Well, how can we oppose adding flavor excitement?  I must admit that I do use Mrs. Dash selectively.  Sometimes, I make an egg noodle side to pork chops where I'll mix in butter and Mrs. Dash.  I also use it to add some interest to broccoli and that recipe is below.  I do enjoy many vegetables, although not all.  When I'm in a plain steak and potatoes or chicken and wild rice mood, I'll eat primarily green beans or broccoli.  I dress up green beans with a little butter and almonds.  Sometimes, I will even pair green beans with pesto alongside a grilled steak.  But for broccoli, some butter and a dash of Mrs. Dash will kick them up a quick notch without too much fuss.  I use a two step method where I blanche the vegetables first to complete most of the cooking process, and then when the main course is largely done, I saute to reheat, finish cooking and season the vegetables in the second step so that they are hot and perfectly cooked when served.  So, the next time you want a really quick side of vegetables, think a dash of Mrs. Dash - just don't tell anyone.

Ingredients:
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original Blend seasoning

Directions:
Place broccoli in a bowl, add water until broccoli are just covered and microwave for 2 minutes.  Drain broccoli, dry with a paper towel. 
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add blanched broccoli, Mrs. Dash, toss and saute a couple of minutes to complete cooking process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment