Thursday, August 7, 2008

NORTHERN SKY

Six years ago I bought 2 copies of the Serendipity soundtrack, which includes Northern Sky (my song) basically for my own silly reason and I still have one of the copies. Today I am looking at the possibility of buying 2 copies of the album of my favorite English singer-songwriter Nick Drake. The album is "Way to Blue" which includes Northern Sky. I often ponder why this artist is my all-time favorite and I am forever stuck with his music. He is known for his acoustic and autumnal song that’s why I like him so much. Just the way I like Jamie Oliver. Maybe I love them both. Well Nick's prime instrument was the guitar but aside from that he was also proficient with the clarinet and saxophone. I fell in love with his music because I can see myself with this guy. He was naturally a sad person. All his life he suffered from depression and insomnia. He knows what will make him happy but fate was not good and life wasn't that fair. He died in autumn of 1974 for not waking up because of the antidepressant he took. He had tried to stay in touch with Sophia Ryde, whom he had first met in London in 1968. Ryde has been described by Drake's biographers as "the nearest thing" to a girlfriend in his life, however she now prefers the description 'best (girl) friend'. In a 2005 interview, Ryde revealed that a week before he died, she had sought to end the relationship: "I couldn’t cope with it. I asked him for some time. And I never saw him again". As with Linda Thompson, Drake's relationship with Ryde was never consummated. Nick's sister Gabrielle has said she prefers to think Drake committed suicide, "in the sense that I'd rather he died because he wanted to end it than it to be the result of a tragic mistake. That would seem to me to be terrible..."

So those things about Nick’s life are what I like most about him and I am amazed he was able to put them all into writing. That's why there's the famous PINK MOON used by Volkswagen TV commercial and my song NORTHERN SKY used by the movie Serendipity. I wonder what he was feeling when he wrote Northern Sky song. As for me, I always believe in fortunate accidents and lucky discoveries... I'd like to think that I have to take a look again where my Northern Sky can be found.

According to Kelly Willis, a song is greatly written when a person who will hear it can relate to it every single word. She once told her crowd before performing Nick Drake's "Time Has Told Me" it is the greatest love song every written. I definitely agree. I picked here three of the best written love songs and I can relate to very single word. They're written by my favorite, Nick Drake.


No comments:

Post a Comment