Thursday, August 7, 2008

Century Eggs - The Epilogue

Two days ago I checked the stats on my blog. I’m used to getting a fairly decent number of hits per day and am generally happy when it hits three figures, usually after I’ve posted a photo on Tastespotting or Foodgawker. So I was a little taken aback to see that I’d had over 2,000 hits over the last 48 hours.

It turns out that the last post I wrote, about century eggs, was picked up by Neatorama and subsequently by a couple of other sites (here, for example). After doing a little happy dance I composed myself and thought about how I could carry on the general run of form.

And then I noticed that it had sparked something of a debate. It seems that century eggs have divided the global food community into two firm camps. I was accused of being ‘INCREDIBLY melodramatic’ (sic.) in my description of this foodstuff. Numerous century egg fans came out in defence of these weird snacks (sick) and then a raft of others backed me in my assessment.

OK, hands up, it’s a fair cop. I’ll admit now that I did exaggerate slightly for comic effect. I am a writer – it’s my job to try and entertain as well as inform. But what I wrote was etched in truth. I have an adventurous palate (these are not the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth, that’s for sure) but these eggs were really not to my taste. And it seems some people agree with me:



However, to all those who doubted me and said I was being ‘melodramatic’, I am willing to be proved wrong. If there is enough demand I solemnly swear that I will go to my nearest Chinese supermarket and purchase a packet of century eggs. I will then post the resultant video of me eating one right here on my blog. As advised I will try it with sugar and hot sauce and congee. And if I am wrong and they don’t taste as bad as I first reported I will eat balut. Deal?

So, to register your interest simply leave a comment below and we’ll take it from there.

www.justcookit.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment