Friday, July 15, 2011

Roasted Marrow Bones

A few months ago, I was watching a late night show on cable tv, The Best Recipes in the World.  I found the video, if you want to take a peek. 
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2007/10/18/dining/1194817116711/bone-marrow-by-fergus-henderson.html

Ever since then, I told myself that I am going to cook Roasted Marrow Bones!



I have been saving in my freezer a tray of marrow bones from Rustan's... still trying to boost my courage.  It is so scary, in terms of healthy eating. 

But my Ate said she read somewhere in the blogosphere that eating marrow is not bad at all!  I did some research and it was true!  http://www.livestrong.com/article/445905-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-eating-bone-marrow/ 

Hahaha Lia! Who are you trying to convince!

When I woke up this morning, I said to myself.... Today is the day for Roasted Marrow Bones!

I went to Rustan's, Rockwell while pre-heating the oven to 450F.   I bought lemon, shallots and fresh flat leaf parsley for the accompanying salad.



I used my oven proof skillet and roasted the marrow bones for 20 minutes.



I also toasted the sliced baguette in the oven.

Oh wow!  I was so excited!  I did it exactly how they did it in the video.  I scooped out the marrow, spread it on the toast, sprinkled a little rock salt and topped it with the parsley salad.



The taste was interesting .... but after I polished off one toast, I called Hermie and said:   Hermie!!!!!  I need the soup stock pot!

This is the only time I want to shout out to the world " Ako ay Pilipino!" (I am a Filipino!)  I want my Bulalo soup


with rice and calamansi-patis-sili dipping sauce!!!
 


I  waited for one hour because I boiled the roasted marrow bones with onions, peppercorns and seasoning.

I had a very late lunch, bulalo and KANIN (rice)!!!!! 



Hahahaha  I thought I wanted to be more "cosmopolitan" in my taste in food but I suppose ... not meant to be.

Even though I know the marrow is not bad for my health,



I was only able to eat the marrow from 2 bones.

I even had to heat in the microwave the second bone. 



At the back of my mind, I was still feeling guilty  because it was so sinfully delicious!

As Mark Bittman said in the video:   "If I've gotta go, this is the way to go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment