Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Am I Selfless?

This past weekend my husband and I made a late night trip to the grocery store to get some needed items. As we made our way to the check out area, the cashier and the boy who was bagging started a conversation that really struck at me. 

The man in front of our line made a huge impact on some people. The cashier was in awe, the bag boy couldn't believe it either. It took me a couple of minutes to realize what they were talking about. Apparently, the man in front of us had paid for the groceries of the person in front of him in line. His reason? He had money, was older and had nothing to use it for. So he decided to use it to bless someone else. Not only was this a one time thing, another cashier came over and explained that he does that to whoever is in front of him in line. 

The cashier who was checking us out said that he just started casually talking to the lady in front of him. When she went to pay, he just reached out in front of her and swiped his card before she could. The lady was shocked at first and thought he didn't realize it was her groceries. So she asked him to make sure; his response, "I know, I just payed for your groceries." The lady, shocked again, almost started to cry! And his response to that. "Jesus loves you." 

Not only did this man impact the lady in front of him that night, but everyone else around him as well. The cashier made this comment. "I've never seen any one so selfless." This girl was definitely younger than me and the bag boy was too. I'm sure they had never seen anyone treat a complete stranger this way before. 

But he wasn't doing it for self praise or glory. He did it because he loves Jesus and wanted to share God's goodness with someone else! Not only once, but it is a habit for him. To show the love of Jesus in a simple way as paying for someone's groceries. 

This man, also made a huge impact on me that night. I profess myself a Christian, but am I showing the love of God to those around me in a selfless way as this man? Am I sharing the love of God for the right reasons? It would be easy for me to say, "I will pay for someone's groceries because I know they will be shocked and everyone will talk about the wonderful deed that I did." But is that the right attitude? 

I should be willing to show God's love to others in a selfless manner because I love God and because I want others to know God's love as well. It's as simple as that. Not because it is anything that I did, but because all purely good things must come from God

So I challenge you and myself; How can I selflessly show God's love to someone this week? 


No comments:

Post a Comment