Monday, April 25, 2011

Recipe of the Week Blog Hop - Risotto

This past week I tried making homemade risotto! I have never made it before, and neither had my mom who was visiting for the day. So it was an interesting experience, but one that I wouldn't mind trying again. Here is the recipe I used. I also added a few things and made a couple substitutions so I will include those.

Risotto with tomato and fresh basil 
Via: Simply Delicious Vegetarian - Carla Bardi

Serves 4
Preparation 15 min
Cooking 40 min

1/3 c. butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes (I used canned)
1 3/4 cups risotto rice (I used basmati, which is an italian rice for risotto)
1/3 c. dry white wine (I left this out, and added extra water)
3 cups boiling vegetable stock
20 basil leaves, torn
1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until transparent, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cook until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine (I used water) and cook until it evaporates. Stir in the tomato sauce and basil. Begin adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until each addition has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15-18 minutes.

Stir in the remaining butter and the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove from the heat and let rest for 1 minute. Garnish with the extra basil and serve hot.

I also added a little bit of cooking cream to make it a little creamer.


Now it's time for you to share your recipes! The linky will be open until Friday evening at 11:59pm. Be sure to link back to Recipe of the Week in your post!









No comments:

Post a Comment