Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Colourful Winter Root Salad/Relish


Think winter-- and I doubt the words "colour" and "salad" come to mind. Yes, this little dish is the complete anti-thesis of winter, but I didn't use anything that wasn't in season! I wanted to give these winter root vegetables an image makeover; they can be more than just stodgy things in thick stews.

Colourful Winter Root Salad/Relish
Ingredients
1 carrot, shredded
1 turnip, shredded
1 beetroot, shredded
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
The proportions are very much adjustable to taste.
No oil in this dressing, because you want it really light and sharp.


Method
1. Shred them all. For me it was a test of my julienning skills.

2. Mix it all up, and let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 min so the flavours all marinate.

You can add a pinch of sugar, but I find the sweet root vegetables (esp the beetroot) sweet enough. It's even better the next day, because the sweetness leaks into the juice/vinegar, and you get a very lovely sweet/tart dressing.
This is really refreshing with smoked fish (guess what I was inspired by? the yusheng/lo hei for Chinese New Year!) or heavier roast meats.

The 2 chives there are totally for show heh, just to add a 4th colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment