Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wisdom Wednesday - Titus 2

This past weekend, I read the book of Titus. I don't know that I have ever read the book of Titus before, if you blink too long you might skip right over it; there are only 3 chapters! One of the reasons I decided to read Titus this week is because I found this blog called At the Well - In Pursuit of Titus 2. It is a site for women and there are different posters that talk about being godly women is our homes, with our children and husbands etc... This got me curious about what Titus 2 actually talks about. So on our way up to church on Sabbath (Saturday) I read the 2nd chapter again so I could highlight things.

Did you know that Titus 2 is basically a job description for us women in our homes?! I thought it was a very powerful chapter and a great one to pursue! Here are the two verses that stuck out to me.

3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

The two areas that stuck out to me the most were "homemakers" and "obedient to their own husbands." I think that those two areas are what the "feminist" movement is attacking right now. Women are growing up to be more and more independent, which is not a bad thing, I am quite independent myself. However, when a wife starts to become so independent that she "disobeys" her husband and does not let him lead the household, this is not how God intended. I love reading Proverbs 31 and trying to pursue being the woman of Proverbs 31. If you haven't read it in a while, do so! 

Being a "homemaker" or a stay at home mom is frowned upon in society as well, I think. Of course, a lot of families need the second income just to stay afloat in this world of high prices and inflation, which I totally get and understand.  I guess I am old fashioned when it comes to being a stay at home mom/wife. I would rather do that, than be out in the working world. One thing that my husband and I discussed before we got married is what we would do after children. Both of us have decided that if at all possible, I will stay home and not work. I feel that the job of being a mom is so much more important than working or putting a child in school for others to teach them. I want to be the mom and teacher; after all a parent is and should be the best teacher a child has.

Some of you may disagree, and that is fine! Everyone has their own opinions and values. For my life as a wife and a woman however, this works for me!

What are your thoughts on Titus 2: 4-5? I would love to hear about it!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment