Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sauteed Broccoli with Quinoa


   
Meat, meat, meat, do we always have to eat meat?  For me, the answer is usually yes.  I like it, and heck, we didn’t get to the top of the food chain by eating greens.  But, of course, many sensitive people either limit the amount of meat they eat or forgo it altogether.  Some evenings, even I just want to get in touch with my inner Gwyneth Paltrow and go green, organic or whatever she is.  Ok, I do not have an inner Paltrow.  I can’t eat anything even affectionately called GOOP, and MellowLOVE Green Juice just will not take me to a higher place, even with the Himalayan salt. 

Be that as it may, I suppose I am still pretty far afield of the meat and potatoes crowd by proposing a dinner meal of quinoa with sautéed broccoli on top.  Quinoa, as I’ve written before, actually has some taste to it, especially in blends with nuts, raisins, and salts.  It’s also healthy and a great source of protein.  Broccoli, I like, but there isn’t really anything I can eat just steamed.  I’m not here for that.  So, I propose sautéing it up with some softened shallot, garlic and a little chicken stock.  Put together, it will actually get you through the evening and make you feel better.  Serves 2.
   
Ingredients:
2 tbsps olive oil
2 shallots, diced
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1 cup quinoa
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp golden raisins
1 clove garlic, diced
2 servings of broccoli florets
salt/pepper
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  
Directions:
In a small pot over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp oil and add ½ of the diced shallots.  Soften a few minutes and then add the almonds and quinoa.  Stir and allow to cook a minute or two.  Add 2 cups of stock and the raisins.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp of oil and add the other ½ of shallots.  Soften for a few minutes and then add the garlic.  Cook a minute more and then add the remaining ½ cup of stock.  Bring to a simmer, add the broccoli and cover.  Cook for 5 minutes or more to the desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper if desired. When the quinoa is done, fluff and plate.  Top with the broccoli, including the remaining stock and the cheese.  Serve.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment