Saturday, November 27, 2010


I had a really interesting realization the other day while I was at a convenience store. I always see gas stations as grim, dark, dismal places where you can witness some of the worst things about our society. I don't mean the obvious purpose of the place, which is our dependence upon foreign oil. That's another subject entirely. I'm referring to the fact that at almost any time you visit one of these places, you can witness someone indulging in their addictions to junk food, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, or gambling. All over the country, there are men and women spending money at "convenience stores" that they should really just keep in their pockets. I've always focused on the worst of these places, so in that frame of mind I went into our local Mobil station recently and witnessed a guy who was hanging around the registers chatting with the two clerks who were working. He seemed to have been there for quite a while, and didn't look like he had any intention of leaving anytime soon. I immediately judged him, thinking, "What a loser. This dude's entire social life revolves around the candid relationship that he's developed with a couple of gas station clerks. He's probably in here every day, just standing around talking about nothing." But as I walked out and was getting back into my car, I realized that I had been too quick to judge and really had no right to think so poorly of the gentleman inside. What business of mine is it to judge this man for spending time in there? When I'm alone, I prefer to spend time reading old falconry books with a glass of Scotch or a "Rusty Nail" in hand. I consider it an intellectual endeavor, time well spent. Others might see my sitting there with antiquated books and hard liquor and think, "How sad. That's how this guy chooses to spend his time." And maybe they're right. After all, we are a social mammal, and it's in our nature to want to interact with other humans. So maybe the guy standing in the convenience store, scratching a lottery ticket and making jokes with the employees has actually chosen to spend his free time in a more natural and understandable way than I have. Maybe I should learn to be a bit less judgemental. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment