Friday, October 15, 2010

Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies

ms blogger has a tea party

Shall we have a break from lentils and chickpeas? Yes, I thought so too!
Let me tell you about the tea party I had yesterday for a group of old friends whom I haven't seen since early summer.  Nothing really seasonal here but I could stretch it and say that with the cooler weather, the time to invite friends round for a chat and a cuppa is here again. I will start with the chocolate chip cookies that you can see in the picture. This recipe is again a real tried-and-tested one as it dates back to our days in Tokyo 25 years ago when our son was born. There, we started a little group of mums and tots and one of the mums was a glamourous young American woman called Joan. Now, Joan was not only glamourous but she had a marvellous recipe for that great American favourite, choc chip cookies, and despite seeing and trying countless other recipes since then, I always come back to hers. I love American cookie recipes as they’re always so positive: ‘Makes 36’ as opposed to our English ones which are so measly in comparison: ‘Makes 12’ if you’re lucky. So in our family, these are known as Joan’s Cookies. Life here became that bit easier once one could actually find chocolate chips in a packet in the supermarkets. This was only 2-3 years ago, mark you. Up till that point, I had to buy the bitter chocolate and put the pieces in the food processor. Not very arduous, but still, another bit of washing-up. Actually, I seem to remember beating a plastic bag with a rolling pin ....
A word about measurements: I personally am completely comfortable with kilos, ounces, cups, you name it. How about you? If you find you need to convert, there are many conversion websites out there: try www.cookaz.com/convert_weight, for example. Don’t mix your measurements, though.
In Turkey, confusingly enough, all measurements are given in glasses: water glass, tea glass, and even coffee cup!! But luckily for us, 1 water glass= 1 cup; 1 tea glass= ½ cup; and 1 coffee cup= ¼ cup so all is not lost.
Ingredients for Joan’s Cookies
Makes 36, maybe more
½ cup white sugar
½ cup soft light brown sugar
1 packet butter -250 g/8oz- softened
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla/vanilya
2 cups plain flour/un
1 tsp each baking powder, baking soda, salt
2 ½ cups oats/yulaf
Raisins, chopped walnuts (optional), semi-sweet choc chips

Joan's choc chip cookies

Method
§  Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
§  Mix together the butter with the sugars. Add the lightly beaten eggs, a little at a time, then the vanilla.
§  Add the flour bit by bit, and the BP, soda, and salt.
§  Now add the oats. You will be using a wooden spoon by now.
§  Add as many raisins, nuts and choc chips as you like. About ¾ cup of each is probably about right with maybe more of the choc chips.
§  Roll into balls the size of walnuts. The ones in the photo are a little bigger than that. Use the oven baking tray. No need to grease it. Place in the middle of the oven.
§  Cook for 12-15 mins.They turn a lovely light brown colour and smell divine. Wait a min or two before removing from the tray with a spatula otherwise they are a bit soft and may break. Place on rack to cool before putting in tins.
rolling the dough into balls
cooling on the rack
Tips
1.       Brown sugar is still something I bring back from the UK when I go: all sorts! I have heard that you can get it here now but I am not sure. Also decent vanilla as only the powdered version is available here.
2.       If you have an opened bag of brown sugar, make sure you slip in a bit of bread before closing it up again. This will absorb the moisture and keep it soft. Otherwise it will go as hard as stone!
3.       I had actually run out of raisins for this particular batch of cookies so instead used dried cranberries! Most dried fruit is interchangeable, I have discovered.

on the table and ready to serve
About the blog:

If you like this recipe and would like to share it, look at the icons below: you can email it to a friend or share on facebook with a mere click of your mouse! I’m not asking you to twitter as I really am not sure about that myself! Also I would really love it if you wrote a comment from time to time and told me what you think about my recipes! Many of you have emailed me and that’s great: thank you very much. But if you write a comment, everyone can share and maybe feel inspired to respond!

Thanks from your faithful blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment