Friday, March 26, 2010

Earth Hour 2010


If you guys are wondering how did this global awareness campaign started, let me share you bits and pieces of what I know. In 2007 the first Earth Hour took place in Sydney, Australia. It was an idea developed by newspaper The Sydney Morning Herald and WWF. For that first ever Earth hour, 2.2 million homes and businesses in the Sydney area switched off their lights for the period of one hour. After one year Earth Hour grew from an event in one city to a global movement. Millions of people, businesses, governments and non-profit organizations in nearly 200 cities around the globe turned out for Earth Hour. In 2009, Earth Hour took place in different time zones in over thousands of cities and towns, in nearly a hundred countries. Imagine how our fellow mates down under initiated one move that can change the world and make it a better place.

Augie March's "One Crowded Hour" became the song of last year Earth Hour. This Indie pop/rock band hails from Melbourne, Victoria. And apparently the bassist Edmondo Ammendola is the brother of my Aussie friend here in Saigon. All the while I thought he was his twin. But I have to laugh out loud and I realized that Edmondo is quite old to be my friend's twin. Then later on I met my dude's twin-Same same but different. I've listen to Augie March's music since July of last year. Among my favorite songs from them are: One crowded hour, Pennywhistle and There is no such place. Been following these dudes in my twitter and they've been following me as well. And that's the nice thing about twitter-- when someone you follow, follows you back!

The band Augie March

Back here on my bed at my Saigon house, I have my own little way to participate with this Earth Hour event. I just slept without the lights and aircon. I stopped using my laptop and imagined that I was in a crowded room for one hour. I can't help but remember that I was also here in Saigon during last year's Earth Hour. They also celebrate it here. How time flies, where will I be next Earth Hour? Saigon again? Or maybe in Sydney perhaps...

Thanks mates for the cool change you brought to our planet!

hugs,
joanie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment