Monday, December 28, 2009

Lentil Soup supper...

Tonight I took my first stab at making lentil soup. I love lentils and it is one soup that has a lot of vegetables in it that David will actually eat. Here is the recipe I used from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound dry lentils
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 pinch salt
  • 1/2 large onion, grated
  • 2 large tomatoes, grated
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 potatoes, diced
  • 1-1/2 carrots, sliced
  • 1 plantains, sliced
  • 2-1/2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste

  1. Rinse and pick through lentils, then place in a bowl with water to cover and let soak while you prepare the other ingredients.
  2. Fill a large pot with 2 quarts of water, and stir in the olive oil and salt. Bring to a boil.
  3. Drain the lentils, and carefully pour into the boiling water. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, carrots and plantains into boiling water. Drop in bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils and plantains are tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
I did not have any bay leaves so I left those out. I was also surprisingly out of onions so that was not added either. It was very good! I also left the lentils separate from the rest of the vegetables. I like to eat lentils plain with garlic salt so I wanted some leftover plain lentils, but you can add them right in like the recipe says too. I had never worked with plantains before either. I think David was nervous about how they would taste, but I thought they tasted just like a potato mixed in with the rest of the veggies. I cut them like you would a banana and as they cooked they softened quite a bit and broke into smaller pieces.

Overall, it was a very yummy supper and it got Davids approval, which is hard to get sometimes with vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment