Wednesday, October 28, 2009

J & G Steakhouse Reviewed





Here in D.C., we have the newest creation from Jean-Georges. Located in the newly renovated Hotel Washington now a W Hotel, J-G bills J&G as a collection of his favorite dishes from his New York restaurants, as well as an inspired steakhouse menu with composed and simply grilled items. Premium meats and a global selection of fresh fish will be the backbone of the menu, including the highest quality raw items from East and West Coasts, uniquely creative appetizers, as well as prime cuts of meat char grilled to perfection with side dishes, including vegetables and potatoes.


With all of that, I fell into risotto and snapper, but more about that later. The hotel and lobby do make an attempt at modern hotel chic. However, the bones of the old Hotel Washington are neo-classical with columns, marble and soaring ceilings. So, I'm not sure if the décor works in the space.

Neither do I think the suffocating service works. They are certainly trying hard. Wait staff is constantly checking on the status of the meal and diners, as are additional floor managers and assorted persons. However, I think really good service isn't asking me if I need more water or diet coke (at lunch), but anticipating my need and fulfilling it without question. Similarly, I found the multiple intrusions during a business lunch distracting. This is Washington - we are either talking policy/politics, checking our Blackberry's or engrossed in our friends. We don't want to talk to the staff. That said, they were all nice people. Maybe they will just tone it down a little.

As for the meal, I chose the lunch-time tasting menu, which in this recession I suppose can be called a value meal although it checks in at $28. I started with the mushroom risotto. It was different than a traditional risotto, lighter and color and less in saltines, no parmeggiano I imagine. The forest mushrooms on top were fine. More inspired was the snapper. I don't even remember what it was over, but I remember the sauce had some heat to it, which I found interesting and fun. Maybe my mind remains transfixed on the desert. I chose the chocolate cake with melted chocolate in the center and a small dollop of ice cream. Modestly portioned (a good thing) and extremely tastey. All in all, a good lunch which I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment