Tuesday, September 15, 2009

David Droga


David Droga, the closest thing the advertising world has to a rock star!
--Cynthia Dayco (Comment from Facebook)

I was happy to receive an email this morning from Mindy Liu of Droga 5, New York. She corrected me on the last paragraph of this post regarding David Droga. I stand corrected. So I am reposting this revised blog entry for a more accurate information about the man. I am flabbergasted and flattered that she stumbled upon my blog :)

I think everyone loves this guy not just Saatchi & Saatchi creatives but the advertising people from around the world. David Bjorn Droga--A 40 year old Australian who is the product of a Danish mother and a Jewish businessman father. He began his advertising career from the bottom rung of the ladder -- the mailroom boy at Grey Advertising, Sydney who wanted to write, saw the work on creatives' desks and thought he could do better. He signed up to the Australian Writer & Art Directors School, came top in ranking in the entire Australia then he was immediately offered a job at FCB. Three years later, at 21, he became the youngest Creative Director (based on what I know.)

At age 26, he was offered the job of Regional Executive Creative Director of Saatchi Asia, based in Singapore. Not the typical creative person, Droga put the region on the map by winning more awards than other offices in the network, including London. So, after invading Asia, Droga once again given a fresh challenge. He became the Executive Creative Director of Saatchi & Saatchi in London, where the agency was shaking after they lost their major accounts and staff. It was a difficult start for him, the British ad community asking 'Dave who?' and wondering what on earth this young Australian had to offer. He proved so much than what was asked from him.

With his continuous success, Droga is now based in New York as the founder and Creative Chairman of Droga 5. An indpendent and fastest growing ad agency in America. It opened in New York and Los Angeles year 2006, then another one in Sydney, Australia around 2008. In Australia, Creative Magazine has named him as "AUSTRALIAN CREATIVE PERSON OF THE DECADE."

Aside from having a wife and three children in Manhattan, building a new venture, David's favorite topics are ART, Environment and anything Australian.


During his show off in the Philippines with Filipino Creatives as his audience
Photos were grabbed from Telly Arce's Facebook



Yesterday, I was informed by some Saatchi friends in Manila that Droga was in town. All of them were giggling while narrating to me their stories on how genius this guy is. But the real story behind those giggles was, David took off his shirt and tried to fit one of Team Manila's shirt during his talk for the creatives in the Philippines. By the way, I think Team Manila was the sponsor of David Droga's Talk. So after hearing these details from Hans Malang and Acid Cid, I vehemently agree that David Droga is soooo HOT! Another reason for me why I should like Australian guys. They are simply beefed up with muscles, with oozing charm and undeniable brilliance. I feel sorry I missed David Droga's visit in Manila. How I wish he will also visit Ho Chi Minh City, but I also wish I will be part of Saatchi & Saatchi Vietnam by then again. But when you dream it should be bigger since it's free right? So I am dreaming to work for Droga 5 in Sydney as an Art Director. Who knows what life brings :)

Is still on high with DROGA!

hugs,
joanie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment