Friday, November 21, 2008

Evil Food

I was accused today of making evil cookies. The chocolate espresso chocolate chip cookie recipe from Gourmet (March 1997) has been one of my all time favorite cookie recipes to make and eat. I'm not a fan of coffee flavors but the two teaspoons of espresso spread over two dozen cookies is subtle and enhances the chocolate flavor without overpowering it. The recipe calls for a full cup of chocolate chips, in addition to the melted chocolate that makes up the base of the cookie. I replaced the eggs with egg beaters and the sugar with Splenda, but kept the full stick of butter in the recipe. When cookies are that decadent, should they be considered evil? I suppose they are if they cause you to come back for more, leave you craving sugar, or add inches to your waistline. But I kind of like cooking evil foods for other people because it keeps me from eating more evil food myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment