Friday, June 27, 2008

Running The Race


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV

On June 22, I competed for the second time in the Des Moines Hy-Vee Triathlon. It is a 1500 meter swim, a 40K bike ride, and a 10K run.

It is probably more accurate to say I participated, rather than competed. Man, did the scripture from Hebrews come alive for me. Along the way the mental baggage kept entangling me and slowing me down. You might be familiar with some of the things that hinder:
Why am I doing this? I can’t do it. It’s too much. I’m too slow. I’m too old. Everyone else is better than me. I should have worked harder and eaten better.

In the middle of the run I was weary and began to lose heart. I say, began to lose heart. I didn’t because of the participants and the spectators along the way. Almost everyone had a word of hope, a cheer, an encouragement in those moments when it felt like I could just sit down and give up.

What a picture of how the church should be. Supported by each other with words and actions of encouragement that help us let go of the unhealthy baggage of life. Encouragement for those fully engaged and for those observing. Encouragement that causes the weariness to dissipate and strengthens our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment