Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Father

Anthony Bourdain, My Daddy Chef. My favorite line from him is, “I write, I travel, I cook and I’m still hungry for more.” He also made the most significant statement in cooking history. He said that any dish without butter is lousy. Hep, hep, hep! I agree! Without butter it's really different. It's a chef's secret ingredient, as confessed by Bourdain. They will never admit it, like men when they cheat. Anyway, if I were to have a father in cooking, it would be Bourdain. He is a great writer of best selling books like Kitchen Confidential and A Cook’s Tour. Among his famous TV shows are: " A Cook’s Tour" and " No Reservations". Anthony Bourdain was born and raised in New York and is now the executive chef of Brasserie Les Halles in New York City. He is the anti-celebrity chef. He doesn’t wear starched, white jackets or fancy hats. This man has an infectious passion for food and producing gastronomic dishes. His passion and adventurous spirit have created millions of gourmet fans around the world. What’s very interesting about him is the idea of traveling a lot to discover different cultures and cuisines. He embraces and merges them, no matter how weird or scary they maybe. I'll never forget the day he dined with the gangster in Russia, swallowing the still-beating cobra, tasted the durian ice cream, ate oyster for the first time, convened with the Vietnamese local and got drunk with their famous fermented drink (similar to our tuba here). Aside from that, he visits different countries to share his cooking secrets. Too bad I missed him when he visited the Marriott Hotel in Hong Kong. I wish that one day he’ll visit Manila.

No comments:

Post a Comment