Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How to survive on real food on a student budget


Baked beans--The sad symbol of student life?

I posted a salmon dish earlier, but it's not a fish I have often just because I am a student living on a budget and yet still opts for free-range eggs and meat and fish that's not farm raised and fed antibiotics. Yes, it is possible and I think I even spend less than the average student here actually.

Tip 1: Cut out your processed, packaged foods. They not only do nothing for your health, they rack up quite a sum of money in your grocery bill.

Tip 2: Get your groceries from the farmers' market. You get locally grown vegetables and fruits and happily raised animals, at pretty reasonable prices. Most of the stalls that aren't certified organic still keep to very good farming standards, just that they can't afford the organic certification.

Tip 3: Opt for the lesser cuts. I love using offal. They're actually richer in vitamins than the rest of the animal and so so cheap. I also love using the less popular cuts like the pork trotters and belly, which are so much more flavourful and become so meltingly tender when you slow-cook them.

Tip 4: Similar to tip 3, buy the less popular fishes. You not only help to prevent over-fishing so it's a more ethical choice, you get your dose of seafood and their omega3 fatty acids goodness for a much cheaper price! And there is nothing wrong with using canned fish, especially since you get extra calcium from eating the soft bones.

Tip 5: Look for what's on offer at the supermarkets. Most of what I cook is based on what's currently in season (and hence, on offer). That's fun also, because it forces me to get creative with what I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment