Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wisdom Wednesday - James 5:7-9

Today's verses were ones that I definitely needed to read today. Here are the verses:

7 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruits of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the latter rain. 8 You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. 9 Do no grumble against one another, brethren, least you be condemned. Behold the Judge is standing at the door!

These verses reminded me of the verse that says whatever state I am in, I must be content. It is so easy for me to think ahead and wish the things I wanted for the future I had right now. But here, James is saying, be patient. You don't want to rush it. If a farmer was impatient and pulled all of his crops before they were ready, what would he have? A fruit that was not ready. It had not received the early and latter rain. This reminds me also in the Bible about the holy spirit being poured out at the latter rain, or the end of time. If we are only thinking of the future and not about where we are right now, we will miss the outpouring of the holy spirit in our lives!

James also has a warning for us, not to grumble or complain about each other. I mentioned this to my Good Morning Girls group this morning in my e-mail; this includes our husbands! I know, shocking right?! Think about it though, if all we do is complain about decisions our husbands make or that they aren't providing what we want right now, do you think they will want to come home to a woman like that? I know submission is a word that a lot of women like to avoid. However, the Bible speaks very plainly on this (Ephesians 5:22-24). When I fail as a wife to submit to my husband's lead in our family and complain about his decision to him or to others, is that going to make him want to lead in the future? Probably not. Then we will start complaining that he is not leading! haha In his eyes, he will never win so he will most likely just give up! This thought really challenged me to think about how I talk about my husband or even what kind of spirit I have. I can have a complaining spirit and not even say a word!

This was something I definitely needed this week! I hope it is a blessing to you as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment