Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My daughter turned 17

S.Kenney 2011 Full Moon Memories

It was a full moon. Just like this one.
I had never heard this apparent fact before.
More women tend to go into labor during a full moon.
I stood at the window 17 years ago staring fervently at this full moon,
Hoping for this tidal imbalance and gravitational state to do its magic on my belly.
That night my beautiful daughter, Madeleine, was born.
Those nurses and midwives were right.

This year, I was ready to cook her a fabulous gourmet meal.  
  True to her nature, she wanted her simple childhood favorites.
Rice Krispie treats.
Marshmallow Fluff
and Sprinkles.

Sweet and Simple
Just like her.
S. Kenney  2011
Birthdays get so difficult each year.  So many changes are happening to her this year.
This week, she finally got her driver's license.
And.
She drove away for the first time.  
I have tears as I type this.
She drove away.
For the first time.
I've waited a week to post this article because I knew it would be emotional.
And. it. is.

S. Kenney - 2011
How delightfully sentimental... these marshmallowy, crispy,  childhood sweets.
What a wonderful metaphor of herself as a little girl.
Here they are, candles and all.
And...
sprinkles.

S. Kenney - 2011



S.Kenney- 2011

But, this last photo is how I see my daughter, Madeleine.
Soft, delicate, quiet, serene.
Always wrapped in the pages of her imaginative world.
I could have never asked for so much in a child.
She is a gift of a soul.
A message of quiet hope.
And a spirit of strong character that is ready to go into this world.











Rice Krispy Balls



Ingredients
  • 1 box rice krispies
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 bag marshmallows
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the 2 sticks of butter in a large skillet until melted. Evenly spread the bag of marshmallows. Stir gently until melted and gooey. 
  2. Slowly pour the rice krispies into the skillet. Stir all of the ingredients until well blended. 
  3. Rub a bit of butter onto your hands. Grab a handful of the mixture and roll into evenly sized balls. Move a bit quickly so the marshmallows and butter don't have time to cool.
  4. Place rice krispie balls into cupcake papers. Top with spoonful of marshmallow fluff and decorate with sprinkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment