Friday, February 11, 2011

OT Tip - Guest Post continued on SPD

I want to give a big shout out THANK YOU to my mother in-law Debra for coming up with another OT Tip for this week. As you probably have noticed, my blog has been rather quiet the last week. I felt like I needed to take a break. I even took a break from *insert shocked expression here* menu planning for the last two weeks! I know, amazingly I have made it through. 

I plan on getting back on tract this next week, hopefully I can get completely well and feel healthy again (two weeks ago I had strep throat and then Wednesday one of my lovely kids decided to sneeze all over my face = sick again). 

Again, thanks to Debra for our topic today. 







Have you ever experienced the tag in the back of your shirt that drove you crazy until you ripped it out, or clothing that itched and irritated your skin?  People react differently to tactile sensations.  My daughter cannot tolerate the feel of velvet on her skin.  No velvety little Christmas dresses for her.  I dislike the feel of wet sticky stuff, such a syrup and sticky doughnuts.  These problems can be very serious and distracting for children with SPD.
Tactile:  Cells in skin give us information about light touch, pain, temperature, and deep pressure touch.
Symptoms
Hypersensitivity:
•    Tactile defensive
•    Bothered by tags in cloths, glue on fingers, finger painting
Hyposensitivity
•    Craves input
•    Wants to touch everything, walls, other children, etc.
Solutions
Teachers:
•    Hand fidgets
•    Vary media used at sensory tables,
•    Put finger paint in zip lock bag and have them paint from outside the bag by moving the paint around in the bag with their fingers
Parents:
•    Tag less clothing
•    Massage scalp before haircuts
•    Weighted vest at dentist (x-ray vest)
•    Cutting nails-soak in warm water first, press on nail bed before cutting
•    T-shirt sheets on bed and snug pj's
•    Pets to hold and pet
Exercise:  close eyes and reach into bag to describe objects by shape, size, and texture.

~ Debra G. 

Disclaimer: I am a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant. The advise in these tips is not a replacement for medical advise from a physician or your pediatrician. Please consult their advice if you suspect any medical or developmental issues with your child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment