Friday, January 14, 2011

The Road less travelled...

Memories of September trip to Provence, France.  The road to St. Remy de Provence
Memories.  That is one of the reasons I love to travel.  I carry around so many visual images of the places that I have seen.  There are so many more places that I would love to see.  I carry around visual images of those unseen places as well.

The skies are grey and cloudy today.  I have finally finished putting away all of the holiday decorations.  
What a chore.  
School work is wrapping up for Friday. 
TGIF.
Just about every Friday we do the same thing around our house.  Order a pizza and watch a movie.  Its a wonderful thing to look forward to each week.  I certainly don't have party type kids.  They are perfectly content to hole up and watch movies or read.  
I know. 
Weird kids.  
But they aren't much different from their mom and dad. 

The road less travelled.  That is the path I seem to always be looking for.  
I don't know why.  
I'm going to take a road less travelled of a different sort this weekend.

Riley and I went to Whole Foods for lunch today (another Friday ritual). 
We decided to attempt to make a dish that I would not have thought of making.  Riley saw it on this cooking program we have been watching. The program is called 
"The Take Home Chef".  
This adorable guy from Australia who has studied cooking for many years at top restaurants in London, goes to high end grocery markets in L.A., picks out a (usually equally adorable) shopper, goes home with her and makes dinner for the family.
Well.
He made lamb shanks.  
"Let's do it, Mom."  
"That looks really good."
Quite amused by this newfound interest in cooking in my very tech-y, computer-minded son, I jumped on it.  
"Why not, Riley?"
Let's do it.
This is my kid who gets woozy over the sight of ground beef.  
Today, at Whole Foods, he was standing knowledgeably in front of this huge beef counter, articulating very certainly that he would like four lamb shanks, please.
So.
Tomorrow.  
The road less travelled for me in the kitchen.
Braised Lamb Shanks.
Stay tuned, I'll try and post a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment