Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Celery Root Puree

   
    
I'm a puree kind of guy.  Seems silly to say, and I imagine read.  Is that an oxymoron: puree and guy?  In some sense it couldn't be more manly.  What does the stereotypical guy want?  Meat and potatoes.  Purees provide us away to serve more interesting potatoes with our meat.  As fancy as I sometimes get, or want to serve, I still have a natural predilection toward some kind of supporting starch.  Maybe it's in our DNA, like the need and therefore taste for salt and fat.  Or it could be nurture.  I grew up in the Midwest with three squares a day.  And what more puts the square in a meal than meat and potatoes?  Although, while this recipe does contain potatoes, not all of my puree suggestions do. For instance, I like to pair a pea puree with seared scallops.  I also have recipes for cauliflower puree.  Indeed, purees provide that dual opportunity to provide a vegetable, and do so in a form and taste that is more savory, more satisfying.  To that S alliteration I might also add silky.  And now also celery root.  Celery root is related to celery, and has hints of celery flavoring, but it is a smoother, more subtle flavor (more Ss, I know).  It pairs wonderfully with potatoes and cream.  I served it with pan-seared duck breast and and a chery port sauce and was rewarded.  So, next time you want to get fancy for your man (or yourself), and sneak some vegetables in too, think of this puree recipe from Food & Wine 2006.  It will certainly satisfy!  Serves 2.
    
Ingredients:
1 large celery root, peeled and diced
2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
salt/pepper
    
Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the celery root, potato, garlic, cream and milk and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.  Drain into a colander and reserve the liquid.  Puree the mixture in a blender.  Add back in such liquid as necessary to form a soft puree consistency.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment