Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pancetta and Herb Frittata

 


We all find comfort in our routines.  Part of why we get into ruts is because they are comfortable.  One habit I am in which makes me very happy is my weekend breakfast schedule.  I love a big breakfast, and I love breakfast food.  I’m talking eggs and bacon, but also hash browns, even a bowl of cereal.  I go salty and savory on Saturdays, and then Sundays I go sweet with pancakes or waffles.  So it was when disaster hit last weekend.  I realized, Saturday morning, that I was out of both bacon and hash brown potatoes.  I know I could have made hash brown cut potatoes from scratch, but the frozen kind is fine with me and saves a lot of time and trouble.  A similar option however does not exist for me and bacon.  I love bacon.  It may very well be my favorite food.  For me it is also a key component of my scrambled eggs recipe.  I first fry the bacon, and then after pouring off the rendered fat, cook the eggs in the remaining bacon film and bits.  No butter for my eggs.  Just like the French say duck fat makes the best pomme frites, I think a little bacon fat makes the best scrambled eggs. 
    
What to do?  On this morning, a switched courses and went with a pancetta and herb frittata.  Now it may seem odd to you that I had pancetta and not bacon.  It is true that I like to keep pancetta on hand and I recommend you do as well.  It is a frequent component of many of the Italian dishes I prepare.  However, my recipes seem to result in never quite using all of the pancetta I buy, so I usually seem to have at least a little bit of it in the fridge.  Likewise, I think every pantry should include potatoes somewhere down in its deep, dark recesses.  Similarly, every self-respecting home cook should keep basic herbs including thyme, rosemary, basil and parsley, but also chives and dill.  I try always to keep fresh parsley, but it’s easy to also keep a dried amount for those just in case moments.  Thus, there is always the opportunity to whip up a frittata.  It may sound fancy, but it’s really quite easy.  Dice the potatoes small and cook them first, then when soft add the eggs and whatever else you like.  Finish under the broiler and you have a complete breakfast in a single dish.  Serves 4.
   
Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 potatoes, peeled and diced to ¼” pieces
6 oz. pancetta, diced
6 eggs, beaten
Salt/pepper
1 tbsp fresh, chopped or 2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp fresh chopped or ½ tsp dried dill
1 tsp fresh, chopped or ½ tsp dried chives
Salt/pepper

Directions:
Turn on the oven broiler to preheat.  In a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil.  When hot, add the potatoes.  Stir to coat and cover.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the pancetta and cook a further 4 or 5 minutes to brown.  In a bowl, combine the eggs, herbs and salt and pepper to taste.  Add the cooked potatoes and pancetta mixture, stir and return to the pan.  Cook the frittata until the bottom is browned and the top is almost set.  Place the pan under the broiler to finish cooking the top of the frittata and brown.  When done, slide the frittata off the pan onto a plate and serve.
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment