Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Very Berry Savings

This summer I have become a berry lovin' person! I have always loved blueberries, strawberries etc... but this past summer I made sure I bought fresh berries almost every time I went to the store. Thankfully, Kroger's (the local grocery store chain here) was almost always running a sale of some kind so that I didn't break the bank with all the berry buying!

But with summer coming to a close and berry season basically done for the year, I hadn't bought as much as I usually do because prices have gone up! Today David and I made our weekly grocery shopping run to our local world food market. We walked into the fresh produce section and I saw the berries. Then I looked at the prices, ack! No berries for me today.

However, there was a surprise waiting for me! This particular store has a savings bin area, with marked down produce, day old bread, that sort of thing. I almost jumped up and down when I saw the berries! They had raspberries for $1.49 a 6 oz container and blackberries in 18 oz containers, 2 for $5!! So I bought 6 raspberry boxes and 2 blackberry boxes! :) My am I so happy!

So I came home and washed everything and filled two containers of each for this week and froze the rest!

There will be lots of yogurt, granola and berry breakfasts for me this week! I can't wait, yum!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment