Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pretty as a picture





(The first part of this post was deleted....I'll have remember what I was saying...)

nutritious food.  
Finally, a few years ago, 
I was dropping off my daughter in Seattle at an exclusive ballet training program.  
It was very daunting being around so many talented dancers at one of the most coveted programs in the country, 
so my self-conscious level was 
way up there.  
There were many ballet moms trailing behind their leggy, graceful daughters.  
I noticed that many of the moms also looked in shape as well.  
Here I was, 
probably one of the only moms with a former ballet background, but rather, well...let's just say,  chunkier than the rest.

That was it.  
That was the snap day.
Why wasn't I taking better care of my appearance?  
I was leggy just like my leggy daughter!  
I was certainly not 
"over the hill".  
So why was I fretting in the corner?  
Why wasn't I waltzing after my little ballerina?  
Inside, I was older but still graceful and poised  but with...
sigh...
more flesh than the rest.


I began that day!  I lost the 20 pounds over the next year.  
Was it easy?  Snort. 
Is it ever easy?  Hard all the way.   I cut my portion sizes, exercised more, indulged less, and you know, 
darn it, 
weight really does come off without any magic tricks, gimmicky products and special foods.  



I've kept it off for 3 1/2 years now and work every day to make better choices.  
Its hard.  
Buts its worth it. 

Second summer, Madeleine was accepted into a tough program in Florida.  
Can you picture this scene?  
Yes ma'am.  
I was the thinner, leggier, ballet mom holding my own, waltzing behind my leggy ballerina.

This summer, 
I decided to take it a notch further.  
I am really close to my goal and feel really great.  I have been using an online "food journal" 
called Sparkpeople.com 
and that has certainly helped to make me increasingly aware of what food groups I am choosing, what portion sizes I am used to, and what other options can help me to eat healthier.  I am a total carb eater and I have had to work harder to get the protein and veggies into my diet.

One of the small changes I have made but that make a large impact on me is to eat my meals and snacks in as attractive a way 
as possible.  
It seems silly 
but 
it really does make a difference.  
I find my prettiest little plates, 
arrange the food attractively, 
sit down in my favorite quiet cozy spot, 
and savor every morsel.  
I try to make my meals and snacks "as pretty as a picture".  
It works!  
Really!

Of course, we'll be in Europe for 2 weeks.  
I am already seeing everything that I have written above fly right out the door once we pack our suitcases in the car and take off!!  Huge sigh...

I'll start all over again 
when we return.  
I will.  I will. 
But, seriously, no one should go on a vacation...
with their diet!
It's staying at home. 
Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment