Wednesday, June 2, 2010

San Gimignano

So, where were we? Oh yes, Poggibonsi was our next stop and from there we had to get a bus to take us through the Tuscany hillside to the 10th century village of San Gimignano. The bus ride in and of itself was totally worth it, but it just kept getting better and better!


Tuscany vineyards...never thought I'd see this!




The village was big. The main streets were crowded, but we could get lost all by ourselves everywhere else. It was so neat!






So artistic! I love arches and wood doors.


Wow! The alabaster was amazing! I really wanted to bring one of these globes home, but couldn't figure out how to carry it.
A couple years ago, when our family played music as a band, I wrote a song about Mary's alabaster box. When I found one small enough to carry for the rest of our trip, I promptly bought it!



We didn't climb this tower, though, no doubt, we would have if given the option! :D


It looks like the village well is still a popular hang out spot.


Can you believe this is 11 centuries old??!!




I don't know what they called it there, but this wisteria was gorgeous! It was just outside a small arbor and we could hear Italian music coming from within.


These guys were so fun and I loved listening to them. I wanted to buy some Italian music, so I asked if they had an album. They didn't, but they sung a song just for us - in English. :D



It was time to move on to Siena. Once there, we decided to walk to Ostello di Guidoriccio. (Don't ask me how to pronounce that! I heard the man behind the counter say it a total of once and he basically said not even to try. :D)
Walking is wonderful, I love walking...however, it took us forever - going up hill all the way, seriously! - to reach the hostel. I'd recommend a bus to anyone who goes to Siena...I think. :P Problem with the buses there, is that they are never there when you are there, so we never used them. I sure wanted to though!

We got a well priced room for the 2 of us and, being "affamato!" (totally famished!:P) we found a coop where we bought fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, antipasto and basil to eat with pizza. Never mind utensils, we made the salad in a bag and ate it with our fingers. Messy, but oh so yummy!

One great story today was that our roommate in Manarola met us again at this hostel AND, she brought our battery charger for the camera with her! (I dare not tell you which one of us left it! :D) That was a huge blessing!

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment