Friday, May 14, 2010

Saigon RAIDERS & SAINTS


One Saturday afternoon I headed to Tu Duc University in the outskirt of Ho Chi Minh city to watch a football game. World cup is about to begin in less than a month. So I am rubbing things up in time for FIFA's big event in South Africa. Let's flip the other side of the planet and zoom in to Asia and take a closer look on what's happening on Saigon Football.

I was invited by my friend Leny to watch a football game because her boyfriend is playing. Her boyfriend is Dominik Schaufler, a German midfield attacker of the Saigon Raiders. I met Saigon Raiders once upon a time last September 2009. I played with them on one of their trainings then eventually I didn't pursue after the bruises I got. It's just hard to play with an all male team. I told myself, I just keep doing Muay Thai instead. I can't master two things at the same time. Meanwhile, It was hot and humid when the Saigon Raiders' shuttle bus we're riding arrived in the venue. The Raiders were fierce and excited while anticipating for their rival team to come. Finally Saigon Saints arrived.



Saigon Saints is perceived to be an all-English football team in Saigon and to prove that I met someone from the team around November of 2009. He is Stuart Clark, an English Geologist who plays as a Midfield striker. Surprisingly Saigon SAINTS also have other nationalities in the team but 80% dominated by English people. One of the Raiders told me that these guys are serious about playing and they train hard to win while their team is playing for the fun of the game.

I witnessed the game, and I can say that yes...Saints are so serious about their game. Raiders didn't win but the game was fun! The score was 2-1 and let's call it an All Saints Day! Good thing Stuart wasn't playing that time because I was cheering for the Raiders. Who knows if I catch one of the Saints games, I'd be cheering for them.



It was nice to see passionate European footy players kick balls on Asian ground. The Saigon expats formed their teams to compete here in Vietnam and around Asia. This idea builds camaraderie and friendship among them? I hope.

FIFA is so near I am not quite sure if the team I am cheering for would bring home the FIFA trophy. Press from the globe said that Aussies and even the Kiwis have a very slim chance of winning the World Cup. I wish Tim Cahill of the Australian Socceroos and Rory Fallon of Kiwi FC a big good luck! No matter what let's wave our flag come June 2010!

Thank God it's Friday, Have great Footy weekend! :D

hugs,
joanie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment