Thursday, November 12, 2009

Roast Chicken

   

       
A well-roasted chicken is the mark of a fine cook, according to Julia Childs. Lovers of cooking must also love Julia Childs, if for no other reason than to admire and respect her boundless enthusiasm and pioneering role in bringing fine cooking into American kitchens. I do not have Julia’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” I prefer cookbooks in the modern style with lots of pretty pictures showing how the prepared recipe can look. I also don’t need multiple recipes for aspic. However, I do own and enjoy very much “Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home.” In it, Julia Childs and Jacques Pepin provide their takes on basic french cooking. On a given dish, they each discuss their approaches to the dish and provide their own recipes. The subtle differences between their recipes show how even fine chefs can differ, and how you can and should influence your own dishes to meet your tastes.
Yesterday was a cold, rainy day, and so I decided to fill the house with the incomparable smells of roast chicken. Julia’s approach reminded me of her inimitable way when she noted, “I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it - and, more important, I like to give it.” How can you not smile at that? I gave it a try and found that I may not be comfortable with my chicken sexuality, because I definitely did not enjoy giving the chicken a butter massage. As for the chicken, I did not ask its feelings or opinions of the matter. But in the oven it went after seasoning and stuffing with herbs and lemon slices. I have yet to make the perfect bird, but am getting closer and this recipe will help you too. I like to pair roast chicken with wild rice and broccoli, making a gravy from the pan drippings. The recipe for the latter is also below. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 3-4 lb chicken
salt/pepper
herbs such as thyme, rosemary and/or sage
1 lemon, sliced
3 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
 
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450o F. Rinse the chicken thoroughly and dry with paper towels. Ensure that the giblets are removed from the inside cavity. Salt and pepper the inside cavity and stuff with sprigs of the herbs and the lemon. Brush the butter over the top of the chicken, especially the breasts and legs. Tie the legs together with string. Salt generously and place in the oven on a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350o F for an approximate total cooking time of 1 1/4 hours. The chicken is done when a thermometer inserted into the thy (without touching a bone) reads 175o F and juices from the chicken when pricked run clear.
When the chicken is done, remove from the roasting pan and allow to rest. In a small pan, add the remaining 1 tbsp butter and flour and mix together to form a roux. Allow the roux to cook for 1 minute to cook off the flour taste. Add the stock and stir, bringing to a simmer. Pour off the juice/fat mixture from the roasting pan into a fat separator. Put the roasting pan over a burner on medium heat and deglaze by adding the white wine. Scrape up the browned bits and whisk into the wine. Allow the wine to simmer down to a tablespoon. Pour the wine mixture into the simmering stock. Add the separated chicken juices to the stock and stir. After a few minutes of active simmering, the roux will thicken the stock into a gravy. By this time, the chicken will have rested sufficiently to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment