Friday, November 13, 2009

Nerd Gear!!

Be jealous! Yesterday I received my impulse online purchase from Wednesday (time off work = online shopping danger!)...a Garmin 305!


What is a Garmin 305, Nicole?
I'm so glad you asked! 
(Is it bad I not only talk in 3rd person, but to myself...in writing...online?)
A Garmin 305 is not only a heart rate monitor but a GPS forerunner! This gadget knows where I am, what I'm doing, and how far and fast I'm doing it. As I was driving to boot camp last night, my Garmin 305 was telling me I was driving at a 1:44 min/mile pace! 
Ahhh, neat-o!!


THEN I got to boot camp and we were told we were running a timed mile. Hello, high school gym class all over again, right?

So, I line up with my class and start running. I was leading the pack until the instructor ran up beside me and was like, "Great job, Nicole! You're at 11 minutes, girl!" ::blink:: 11 minutes? My fitness is DECLINING since starting boot camp? ::head scratch::
I glance down at my Garmin which has clocked my workout at 1.3 miles. Duhhh. 
1) Why didn't I think to look sooner? 2) 1 mile runs should be one mile...not 1.3 miles.
I finished with a time around 11:45, I'm not really sure. After my health scare, I was fiddling with my Garmin and not running up to speed.

After our "mile" run, we did a push-up test. UGGGGGGGH. Add push-ups to the I'd-rather-be-rubbing-Tabasco-in-an-open-wound-list...right up there by planks. I knew my chest and shoulders would feel like they went through the grinder today. And, I was correct.




After my workout my Garmin 305 told me this: 
- my workout was 55 minutes and 36 second
- my fastest running pace was 8:15 mph (it calculates your pace AS you're running...should be helpful in the Guinness Challenge tomorrow, right!?)
- I burned 229 calories (based off my gender, age, and weight)


Side note: I know the Garmin 305 is pretty nerdy looking, but I think I like it... :)



Knowing I had Boot Camp last night, I planned a favorite crock pot dinner last night. Before I left for work in the morning, I threw into a crock pot:


1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth (low-sodium)
1 cup salsa
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 packet of taco seasoning
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (raw or frozen)


Cook on low 6-8 hours.


Before serving add:
1 cup sour cream (I used 50/50 fat-free and light)
1 cup 2% shredded cheese (I used Colby...cheddar is good, too!)


Voila...Hearty Mexican Chicken Soup


Husband gave the dish a thumbs up!



Any fun weekend plans, folks?
We're going to a friend's birthday tonight, watching the Illini game tomorrow morning and running the Guinness run in the afternoon, and on Sunday I have back-to-back hockey games. It'll be a busy (but fun and active!) weekend for us! TGIF...have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment