Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Boozercise!

Do you boozercise? I do! Just this weekend I pulled into the parking lot of the ice rink to find a beer trailer -- a trailer housing beer with exterior taps for one to help themselves. Gift from God? Obviously.

While I limited myself to half a Coors Light before hopping on the ice for 3 solid hours of hockey games, others fared much worse than myself. Seeing as the beer was available since 2pm...there was surely some serious consumption of my teammates prior to the 5:45pm game time. This takes me back to hockey in Chicago where locker room time with the girls included a case of beer and lots of giggles. Ah, the old days.


The Chicago Tribune recently looked into BRFSS information and found an interesting connection: those that drink more...exercise more. More surprisingly, the heavier drinkers were the most likely to workout...and to workout for longer. Though this seems oxymoronic (that's not a word, per se...but I like it all the same)...there's several plausible explanations such as exercise to negate drinking damage, thrill-seeking nature, and team sport partaking after events and games [1].

Now don't go picking up a booze habit in order to gain an exercise habit, as the effects of alcohol don't outweigh the benefits of exercise [1]. Sigh, sigh...I know, I know.

But boozercise -- a little "booz-" and lots more "-ercise" -- combined -- can't be all bad...right? Regardless, I'm a fan of boozercising and will likely keep up my regimen.
Does dog-walking with wine in-hand count? Half kidding...

[1]. Deardorff, Julie. Study: Drinkers More Likely to Exercise. Chicago Tribune. August 31, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment