Wednesday, March 4, 2009

There Is Life In The Now


It is so easy to get caught up in the hurt of "should have been" and the fear of "what if." They are not, however, what God desires for us. I believe that God yearns for us to experience the strength of the moment, the now.

Both the past and the future have too often become reflections of death rather than life. God, through the voices of scripture says "choose life."


"Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.

It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?"

Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?"

No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction…

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life…"

from Deuteronomy 30:11-20


"I was regretting the past and fearing the future. Suddenly God was speaking. "My name is 'I Am.'" I waited... God continued.

"When you endeavor to dwell in the past, lamenting over all of its mistakes, missteps and regrets, it is hard to feel empowered and encouraged. I am not there. My name is not 'I was.'

"When you exhaust yourself by worry about the future, with all of its unknowns, problems and fears, it is hard to feel at ease and calm. I am not there. My name is not 'I will be.'

"When you live in this very moment, embracing all that is and breathing in the newness of life, it is not hard at all because I am here. My name is 'I Am.'"


Adapted from Helen Mellicost as quoted in One Hundred Graces

No comments:

Post a Comment