Friday, March 7, 2008

The Spirituality of The Blues



I find that some of the music of the blues shares a profund insight into the experince of the Holy. It is a viseral, intimate, get-down-in-the-dirt recounting of the experience of God.

Here are the lyrics for When Love Comes To Town - Written by U2 and performed by U2 and B.B. King

I was a sailor
I was lost at sea
I was under the waves before love rescued me.
I was a fighterI could turn on a thread but I stand accused of the things I've said.
When love comes to town I want to jump that train when loves come to town I want to catch that flame.

Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down but I did what I did before love came to town.
I used to make love under a red sunset I was making promises I was soon to forget.
She was pale as the lace of her wedding gown but I left her standing before love came to town.
When love comes to town I want to jump that train when loves come to town I want to catch that flame.

Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down but I did what I did before love came to town.
When I woke up I was sleeping on the street I felt the world was dancing and I was dirt beneath their feet.
When I looked up I saw the devil looking down but my Lord he played guitar the day love came to town.

I was there when they crucified my Lord I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword.
I threw the dice when they pierced his side but I've seen love conquer the great divide.
When love comes to town I want to jump that train when loves come to town.
-U2

So what is your story before love came to town? Who were you before you grabbed hold of the experience of God?

Just a thought,
P.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment