Monday, January 28, 2008

Rhubarb Dressing

Before I was wondering for answers about these questions I have in mind... Is rhubarb a vegetable? Or a fruit? Or a plant? The answers to my questions: It’s a vegetable that is usually eaten like a fruit. It’s perennial in many areas. Rhubarb is a cool season crop that is grown for its fibrous leaf stalks. Its latin name is Rheum rhabarbarum and commonly called as Rhubarb. It can grow in climates with mild winters up to 2-3 feet wide and tall, depending on variety. To attain its full color, full exposure to the sun is needed. Otherwise we won't be able to obtain the red and yellow varieties. It will take you two years to have your first small harvest of rhubarb because in nature perennial crops are like that. Hmmm... interesting, isn't it? Now with those information, I understand my now favorite jam & dressing–rhubarb.

Surprisingly this hard to find vegetable or season crop can be found in the soil of La Trinidad, Benguet. All the while I thought I can only see rhubarb in Jamie Oliver's Garden. (Btw, He's my all-time favorite chef that's why I bought his book entitled "JAMIE at HOME" and it's basically about his garden)

So I prepared a mixture of tropical fruits and veggies like mangoes, grapes, tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce–a perfect salad for the rhubarb dressing!

Rhubarb is also famous with jams like: Strawberry + Rhubarb and Rhubarb + Ginger and all the endless possibilities that any cook or chef could explore. As for me, I did the Strawberry + Rhubarb but not as a jam but as a salad dressing!

So healthy yet so yummy...My comfort food!


No comments:

Post a Comment