Friday, June 25, 2010

Devotional Reflections

This morning I finished reading the book of Philippians. It is only 4 chapters long, but I found a lot of encouragement in this book. I have been highlighted texts in my Bible that find a lot of meaning to me. Green is for the new testament, blue for the old testament, and pink for verses that relate to being a Proverbs 31 woman. I want to share with you the verses I highlighted in pink today, there are actually three.

The first is Philippians 4:4
"Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand." This verse really truck me as a Proverbs 31 verse, because as that kind of woman we should be gentle in our temperament as well as our voice! I tend to forget that a lot, especially if I am frustrated with a situation or with someone. So I thought this was a special verse to remember, Be gentle and let others see it because Jesus is coming soon!

The next verse that I highlighted in pink is Philippians 4:8
"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." I like how the Bible that I am using online has highlighted the important words in this text. Whatever things are true, just, pure, lovely and if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things! I think the praiseworthy things are one of the most important things to remember when it comes to our husbands. I know, at least for me, it seems like I am mostly nagging or asking him to do something and then complaining if it was not done the way I would have done it. And then I wonder why he won't help me out with things anymore!! But if we as wives concentrate on things that we can praise our husbands for, I bet we would have happier husbands who would be more willing to help us out when needed or asked!

The last verse for today is Philippians 4:13
"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:" The verse before this, Paul is thanking the Philippians for the help they sent him. I have been struggling with being content lately in life. It seems like everything I want, or want to do, particularly being a mother, won't come soon enough. Instead of learning to be content with where I am right now and following my husband's lead and his plans, I want my plans to happen right now! However, God's timing is perfect and I just need to trust in his timing for my life!

I hope these verses encourage you today as they have for me! Have a blest day! 


~ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment